In the tech world, long term's actually quite short term

My thoughts:
It’s been couple of months since I’ve been blabbering around the fact that a Blackberry is losing the aspirational appeal it used to have. After all, every third person in my circle today owns a blackberry and that’s mostly because of bbm. So much so that as soon as people own a blackberry they put their bb pin numbers as their Facebook status!

But why did blackberry do this? Target their phones towards even kids while earlier it was the corporate phone! Didn’t they release that while they might earn huge profits in the short run by tapping another customer segment, they would lose their exclusivity/ aspirational appeal in the long run?

A new perspective:
That in the short run their strategy is successful in unquestionable, the issue in my head was – what in the long run. I often engage with people around me on this subject and while I was once discussing this with a senior person in office, he gave me an answer/ a retort/ an angle/ a perspective that I had never thought about myself. 

The learning:
What I have now realized that the market in tech and telecom is so dynamic these days that the long run is only around a year! Imagine what a short term is! And marketers (like blackberry) need to make the most of this immediate future than consider the longer term which is unpredictable. Once maybe blackberry realizes that they have penetrated the market a great deal or majority people are losing the aspiration to own a blackberry they might actually come out with an exclusive range later! What about that! The lesson learnt is that in tech market, long term is actually quite short term!

karanbhujbal

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment